Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Training for Tuesday - Spring 2016


It's that time again ! I love linking up with Tracy and Alyssa:


alyssagoesbang

Tar Heel 10 Miler Race Recap

This was the first spring race I signed up for back in November.  It seemed like a prerequisite to live and run in North Carolina that you HAD to run the Tar Heel 10 Miler. I knew about Laurel Hill but what I didn't know was how the rest of the course was.  This was my fault as I should have looked at the elevation profile - rolling hills is not an accurate representation of this course.



This race was hilly, hot, and hard. I had a "good" race.  I crossed the line and I didn't die which has been my race goal since I started planning my races.  Secretly though, I wanted to cross the line in under 2 hours - I knew that wasn't going to happen after mile 3.  And I've spent the last few days being okay with that. I ran what I could, I enjoyed the scenery, and didn't quit when I wanted to. I finished with an official time of 2:02:37. After RnR and Tar Heel, my legs have earned a break.  Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to go back and run it again next year.


So many Fleet Feet-ers !

Reflections: In 4 weeks, I've run 3 races, totaling 33.1 miles.  I think I've run almost every hill in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. I've discovered that my favorite distances are 8K's-10 Milers. I don't know if I'll ever run a marathon. I'm currently shifting my focus to something really exciting that I'll tell you about in the very near future I promise, but it's actually helped make me feel better about where I'm at as a runner. 

Training for:

Goal - Continue running: If nothing else, I just want to keep up with my running.  My biggest hindrance in the past has been taking so much time off after races that I have to start from scratch when the next season comes around. I would like to keep a longer run on Sunday from anywhere between 6-8 miles and do a few 3-5 milers during the week. This way I can either turn out an 8K or 10K and already have a good solid base for any 10 milers or half marathon in the fall.
  • Run Wild 5K: June 4 - Asheboro Zoo (I get to run around the zoo !)
  • Run Green Oktoberfest 8K: October 15 - Raleigh (I need the other half of my St. Paddy's medal)
  • City of Oaks Old Reliable 10K: November 6 - Raleigh
  • Outer Banks Half Marathon: November 13 - Outer Banks
  • Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8K: November 24 - Raleigh
I realize that puts me at 3 races in 4 weeks again, but the Turkey Trot is for fun and the City of Oaks 10K is a good warm up for the half. I would love to find an August or September 10 miler somewhere fun, just to travel.  I really want to go back and run the Richmond half in 2017 after being sick last November but I'm also trying not to get too ahead of myself.

What are you training for ?

2 comments

  1. Great job!! I've learned that you absolutely can not trust any description like "relatively flat" or "rolling hills." They're all lies. I always check the course map myself or else I seriously regret it! I think you're plan to just keep a solid base is a good one. That'll basically be my MO too after NJ this weekend. Would like to run a few short summer races before I kick it into high gear for Richmond.
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never look at course maps or elevation before a race, so unless I already know the area I'm always surprised by the course (unless they advertise some kind of "killer hill" or whatever). The worst is when they throw in a hill right before the finish. I've been known to swear out loud when I see any sort of incline before a finish line.

    ReplyDelete

You make my heart happy when you leave me comments ! I respond to all of them via email :) Thanks for being a rockstar !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design + Developed by Blog Boutique