Thursday, June 18, 2015

Monsters (Part 1)

If any of you have taken the time to give my About Me a gander, you've probably seen pictures of my monsters.  And by monsters, I mean my four-legged children, Ryker and Sadie.


Trying to get a non-blurry photo where both of them are looking in the same direction at the same time doesn't happen.


Both dogs are from an amazing rescue in Ohio and contrary to what most people think, they are not biological brother & sister-but don't you DARE try and separate them.  Now grab some pillows and blankets and get comfy for story time.  Let me tell you how I ended up with Ryker, my blue-tick beagle mutt.



I adopted Ryker in November of 2010 completely by accident. Being new to the Beavercreek, Ohio area and having no job and no friends, I did the only logical thing I could think of: I hung out at Petsmart and played with the animals.  Every Saturday, a rescue group would come and bring their adoptable dogs in the hopes that someone would play with them, and love them, and adopt them.  I would casually stroll over and say hi, play with a few dogs where I could but tried not to get in the way of people actually adopting animals One of the dogs didn't do so well with all the craziness and people really didn't seem to want anything to do with him.  I figured I would play with him since he didn't seem like a crowd favorite; he gets love, other people get to play with the dogs they will hopefully adopt - everybody wins !

I did this every Saturday for about 2 months.  I was unemployed and it made the weeks bearable while I searched for a job.  Finally (hooray !) I had landed a job with Verizon Wireless.  I had gotten to know the ladies at the rescue quite well at this point and couldn't wait for Saturday to go play with Ryker (he was only well-behaved when I was there apparently) and to tell them the exciting news.  Except when I got there - no Ryker.  I tried not to be sad or disappointed that he got adopted.  I found some other fluff balls to give my love to that day and didn't think about it.

Then, about 2 weeks later, I showed up on a Saturday and WHAT ? Ryker is barking by the table again ? Confused.  Apparently, the people that adopted him already had other animals and didn't like his beagle personality: hiding his toys, being food possessive, stubborn.  They brought him back.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy, but I also knew I couldn't adopt because I had no money at the moment, and a somewhat unstable life.  Out of nowhere, my mom calls me and asks me what I'm doing.  She hears barking.  I tell her I'm at PetSmart and tell her about Ryker.  Thinking her response would be "You don't need a dog to take care of right now" or "You can play with him, but don't think about bringing him home" I was basically floored when she said "Send me a picture."




Our first (blurry) picture together.

Guess who came home with me.  Everything just kind of lined up and boom.  My mom fronted me the cash (the rescue basically knocked $100 off the adoption fee as well) for the adoption and some start up things: food, toys, a crate.  I had a Ryker.  He's the handomest, derpy-est, mush face-iest dog ever.  




What a weirdo.

Since I have no idea how old Ryker is, we call him 7-ish and I randomly decided that July-ish was his birthday month, so he will be 8-ish sometime during that month... ish.  He's been my squishy for 4 1/2 years already and in November, we'll celebrate his 5 year adoptiversary.  I love this little man more than anything.  Especially when he's not exactly the smartest.



Please put the sound up and watch numerous times for ultimate laughs. 


Part 2 (Sadie's adoption story) coming soon !

Tell me about your pets, pretty please with puppy kisses on top :)






2 comments

  1. Awwww puppy! This story warmed my heart. I got my childhood dog from someone who adopted her and then realized she didn't get along with her other two dogs so it makes me so happy when things work out like that. I'm so glad you and Ryker found each other! Side note: I had no idea you had lived in Ohio.
    We got our dog Bane 3 years ago in August - I wrote about him around this time last year! http://www.changeofpaceblog.com/2014/06/goal-crazy-and-2130.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah I know I've seen that video before but I just watched it like 3 times in a row and laughed out loud. I love him so much. I can't believe it's been almost 5 years! Wow. The other day when I was in the city (I can't believe I haven't told you this yet) I saw a pup with his coloring almost EXACTLY, who really could have been Ryker if he were maybe 6 inches shorter. I freaked out a little bit and wanted to stop but the guy was walking fast in the other direction and we were on 7th Avenue at 6 p.m. so yeah, it was a mess. But the little sir's always on my mind, apparently! <3 puppy kisses to Ryker and Sadie

    ReplyDelete

You make my heart happy when you leave me comments ! I respond to all of them via email :) Thanks for being a rockstar !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design + Developed by Blog Boutique