Friday, June 6, 2014

Off Days

I know they should be called "rest days" but I call them off days because I feel off.  It's all because I feel like I haven't been working hard enough to have a rest day. Normally I just sit around and be lazy and feel super unproductive and well,




However, I also know that there are SERIOUS advantages to taking a day off to recoup, even if it feels like I don't need to.  My biggest concern is making sure I don't overdo it too quickly and hurt myself again. Which is why, against my better judgement, I finished my book last night instead of a short 2 mile run.

As much as I want to do this all on my own, I fully believe that I need a coach.




Not like Coach, but someone to help me get my act together and have a set plan on what to do and how to do it. Because unlike almost all the runners I know, I haven't been running since high school or college, never had a coach to help me and can use all the help I can get.  Ideally I would love it if someone would tell me: This is what you run for the week, how many days, how many miles, how fast, etc. until I can start to come up with my own plan. Or at least just run with me once a week to say "Hey, if you do this, or focus on this, it may help."

The biggest reason I haven't asked for help before is because I don't want to feel like I'm bothering someone or that I'm slowing them down or cutting into their own training.



That being said, another personal goal this week is to stop being so self conscious and ask for help. The worst thing that happens is people say "no" and that's okay !

I have my personal trainer at the gym tonight who will probably make me do planks again, wait about 30 seconds, and try and make me laugh hysterically and yell at me if I break...because everyone wants to throw up while doing planks, right ?!

Before I go I just want to say:  To everyone who reads what I post here, YOU GUYS ARE ROCKSTARS !  I can't say thank you enough for making my heart so happy :)

1 comment

  1. Heh. C used to sort of give me a running gameplan for the week, but mostly because we did 90% of our runs together until he sprained his ankle. Then shortly after that it all went up in flames and I was creating my own training plan with 0 guidance. A lot of googling and r/running helped me come up with the system I use, and it's crazy that I'm actually responsible for another person's training schedule now. But it seems to work. I think you should go for it and ask Brian to just give you some suggestions or a general framework for a typical week. I'm sure he won't mind. He definitely doesn't want you to get hurt, right? I know the feeling that's holding you back, but you gotta force yourself to just push it aside in the name of making progress.

    ReplyDelete

You make my heart happy when you leave me comments ! I respond to all of them via email :) Thanks for being a rockstar !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design + Developed by Blog Boutique